Monday 12 August 2013

Prom 35







Friday 9 August

Another of my favourite men...who are mostly dead...


I'd been looking forward to this Prom for a Very Long Time. I will ever be grateful to an ex-colleague who, during a chat about music, mentioned Mahler. On spotting my non-comprehension, he most kindly loaned me two records (it's over 25 years ago. We treasured our vinyl then). One was Das Lied von der Erde; the other, Mahler's Second Symphony, the Resurrection. Of course, it was the classic recording



I listened carefully, and there was an immediate connection. I vowed to collect recordings of all Mahler's music, and to attend live performances of the symphonies in order! Which I did, although it was some time before I was brave enough to tackle the bleak, other-worldliness of the Ninth.

My notes from this evening's prom read 'beautiful phrasing, clear articulation, and plenty of spaciousness'
Here's a review which agrees.

When first attending the Proms, I was - for at least the first two years - regularly 'overcome' with hearing music live. Pieces I'd heard on the radio, or on records, were being played for me - live. The effect was, initially, overwhelming, though I'm pleased to say I no longer require tissues every time I attend a concert! However, I had a suspicion that the Resurrection would set me off - especially in the light of the recent visit to Wales. And it did. As we moved to Urlicht, the vision of life after death, the only way I could maintain any semblance of composure was to firmly close the programme, and thankfully, on this occasion not understanding German, just listen.

This was one of the best performances of Mahler 2 I've heard live. Thank you, Mariss Jansons & the Bavarian Radio Symphony Choir and Orchestra, also Anna Larsson (a wonderfully smoky mezzo) & Genia Kuhmeier (sop). I found a clip of Ms Larsson here, singing the finale.

And - oh joy - a big thank you to the kind man who came to the Gallery queue to distribute some copies of his book on Mahler! Keith Clarke's book has garnered favourable reviews on Amazon (though they're out of stock at present). Here are details:
Mahler's Heavenly Retreats
Keith James Clarke
Oblique Angle Publishing (2006)
ISBN-13: 978-0955408007
It's a fascinating book, and if there were views such as this, then it's easy to see why he wanted to get away.


No comments:

Post a Comment