Thursday 25 July 2013

Wagner....

Proms 14 & 15

Some people can't get enough - and others don't want to go there..

I admit it straight away: I am not a Barenboim fan. The adulation given him just because he was once married to a most excellent cellist is insufficient  for me. He's not my favourite conductor, nor my favourite pianist. There's too much 'Barenboim' between the man and the music. So - just when I finished taking on board a superb Die Walkure on Tuesday evening - I was disappointed to read this 
...especially after reading this:
23 Jul
Ten minutes before curtain up, only wd be hanging out outside smoking a cigar!

I'd gone to Das Rheingold the previous evening, but lasted only 45 minutes, thanks to the heat and crowds about the rail..there are LOT of people who bought weekly season tickets ONLY for the Wagner. They are mostly men.

The singing is excellent; the orchestra is utterly superlative.

Semyon Bychkov - one of my favourite conductors - is probably having to work harder because of the loss of his Tristan

I will listen in the comfort of my own home to some of the others - apart from Siegried, who is a boring numpty...

It's a great pity that we didn't have more Verdi....
 

No comments:

Post a Comment